Joint City-County Food Systems Policy Board Meetings
(In-person and Zoom options available)
A joint advisory board of elected officials and other key stakeholders will provide guidance to the County, the City, and other municipalities located within Alachua County regarding effective ways to address food system issues in Alachua County. The Board will assist and advise on innovative approaches, policies, and target goals within Alachua County for purposes of developing food systems and ensuring food sovereignty of individuals. This group will have no final decision-making authority.
The Advisory Board may discuss topics such as the following:
- Developing and opening Community Groceries in schools, low-income and/or public housing, and multipurpose centers.
- Developing an interactive Foodshed map of our region.
- Adopting the Good Food Purchasing Program.
- Create a Healthy Corner Store Initiative. This may involve incentives and requirements for food businesses to provide fresh produce, staple food items, and nutritious shelf-stable food items as well as to expand locally farmed food in areas classified as food deserts in urban and rural areas.
- Development of partnership-based educational campaigns and outreach materials targeted at improving food access, nutrition education, gardening best practices, and more.
Meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 5:30pm at the Alachua County Administration Building in the Grace Knight Conference Room, 12 SE 1st St, Gainesville, FL 32601. Please see the Alachua County website for Zoom information if you wish to participate virtually.