Have any local updates to add to this page? Tell us about it HERE!
Look here to learn about what is happening in Greater Gainesville to improve our local food system. You might also find requests for support from some of our local partners. Thank you to everyone who has shared info about the events and programs your organization is offering and the support you need.
- DOH Farmers Market Returns with New HoursThis summer, the DOH Farmers Market will return to the Department of Health in East Gainesville. The new operating hours are 3 pm—6 pm on Wednesdays, between April 20th and October 26th, 2022. Customers who participate in the WIC or Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Programs can use their vouchers at this market.
- The Latest on Food Recovery: MEANS Database is in Gainesville!MEANS Database is a national nonprofit organization that connects food-generating entities to local organizations that use the excess food to feed the hungry in their communities. MEANS has partnerships with large entities like UF/IFAS and the UF Family Nutrition Program. And now MEANS Database is joining our efforts here in Gainesville to help improve our food waste recovery.
- Food Planning Project Seeks Community-Driven Solutions in the SoutheastGrace Grows and a host of community partners are building toward food sovereignty through a food planning project in Southeast Gainesville. Food sovereignty is about generating power in the impacted community, where impacted community members are the ones who determine solutions for themselves.
- Community Members Team Up to Fill Farmworkers’ Face Mask NeedAt the end of summer 2021, the Delta variant of COVID-19 surged in Florida. Consequently, the need for face masks soared with it. When Growth Management Senior Planner Kathleen Pagan received a request from the Farmworker Association of Florida, she connected them with Days for Girls to fill the need.
- Gainesville Giving Garden Grows Its Leadership TeamThe Gainesville Giving Garden has developed a small urban farm near downtown Gainesville. Its mission is to grow food for underserved families in our community. As a new nonprofit, the organization is currently looking to grow its Leadership Team. Check out this post for more information about this opportunity!
Local Updates on FSC-GNV Initiatives
- Community Reviewers’ Input Wanted for This SiteWe want this website to be as user-friendly as possible. Therefore, we want to hear from people in the North Central Florida area about how it can be improved. There are opportunities to sign up as a compensated community reviewer as well as provide input at your convenience.
- Research Database in Progress: Calling for Resources!We’re building an online food systems research database. It will be free for anyone to use and specific to the North Central Florida region. Right now, we’re seeking research and data that are not yet available online. If you’ve got resources or ideas to contribute, we’d love to hear from you!
FSC-GNV Meeting Notes Archive
- FSC-GNV Meeting Minutes – 11/15/2022The FSC-GNV met on September 20th. Updates were shared by multiple groups and upcoming events were highlighted. This is a busy time of year!
- FSC-GNV Meeting Minutes – 9/20/2022The FSC-GNV met on September 20th. Updates were shared by multiple groups and upcoming events were highlighted. This is a busy time of year!
- FSC-GNV Meeting Minutes – 8/16/2022The FSC-GNV met on August 16th and heard updates from several partner organizations including Working Food, Strong Roots Movement, UF Gator Dining, and more.
- Food Access and Community Wellness Notes from July 19 2022The FSC-GNV met on July 19 2022. These meeting notes summarize the discussion on Food Access & Community Wellness, especially updates on initiatives underway at local governmental institutions.
- Economic Development and Supply Chain Notes from April 19 2022The FSC-GNV met on April 19, 2022. These meeting notes summarize partner updates, including City initiatives, Dept. of Health programming, and the Grace Grows Community Food Planning Project. You can access the PDF version to share and download from this page.